Tuesday, February 7, 2012

sensational chicken soup

So today I had a rockin' day at work and was inspired to finally tackle a homemade soup for dinner. I had lots of help from Scotty since I was so exhausted. He's such a good cook, too, so he really took the recipe from normal to awesome.

Here's what we did!
In a pot, we boiled some chicken (just a whole breast and some leftover dark meat) in chicken broth.
While it was heating up, we cut up a handful of onions (red and white), celery, and some peppers would be nice (some bell peppers would be delish but we didn't have any in our fridge!) Saute them in a pan with olive oil and spice--Oregano and generic Italian seasoning.

Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked, take it out of the broth, and rip it into small-ish bite sized pieces. 

Simultaneously, put a pot of water on the stove to boil so you can cook the noodles. 
If you don't have a ton of chicken broth, you can supplement with cream of chicken soup (campbells) like we did. (after we took out the chicken we popped a can of the soup plus a can of water into the pot with the broth.
Once the veggies are done--starting to become golden-- you can plop them into the broth with the chicken and simmer.
Now the the chicken and veggies are in the broth, you can add in a can of tomatoes (we had them skinlesss and whole in a can, which we cut up into pieces, but fresh would probably be ok too!)
Let them all be friends and cook together while you finish cooking the pasta so it's al dente (or a little bit hard). When the pasta's done, you can drain it and put it in with the soup!
Let them all swim around together for a bit and serve up with some grated cheese on top!


Next time I'll put up my awesome dessert that we made tonight! I wouldn't want to overwhelm you guys with too many recipes, even though I promise they're all easy!

PS sorry my pictures are so horrible! I told you guys my camera stinks!

Thanks for reading,
Mrs. E =]

1 comment: