Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Why I love Easter

I've made it pretty clear that I love Valentine's day. The main reason I love that "hallmark holiday" is because of what it stands for: love. I love celebrating love--parental, spousal, and friendship. After some serious introspection, I realize that my biggest reason for loving Easter is because it is the ultimate holiday of love.
Scott actually proposed in front of our favorite Cross two Easters ago.

Love is a verb. I've always known this as fact. Jesus teaches us this very simple truth. Actions matter. Our words can be deceitful, our beliefs are ideology, but our actions show our character. Jesus didn't just tell us He loves us; He showed us. Jesus didn't want to be crucified. He was fully man, after all. He pleaded with our Father to give him another way. There was no other way, though. God and Jesus (as one and separate entities) gave us the ultimate gift of life through sacrifice and suffering to prove their love.

Let that sink in.

Jesus could have disobeyed God. He could have walked away. He could have said, "you know, what? I'm not going to take the wrap for all of your hateful and sinful ways. I love you, but I won't do this."He didn't. Instead, He (basically said) "I don't want to do this, and this will actually kill me, but I love you so much, I will do this for you. I will give you ETERNAL LIFE."

All that being said, there's something we need to take away from this: love is a verb. We need to use this holiday as a reminder--not just of our love with our Father, but also to our friends, family, and human-kind. When Scotty asks me to help make his lunch but I want to sleep in, I should to step outside myself and get out of bed to help my husband. When your friend asks you for help that's inconvenient, think about how helping him/her could show your love.

I hope that through this mind-cloud of a post you can take away a token about this very special time of year and how it can strengthen your relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment